Thursday, January 2, 2014

McNightmare

First day back to the daily grind after 10 days or so out of the office. I had my new favorite "grind"-ing brew with me -- Dunkin' Donuts Pumpkin Spice Coffee -- so I was set.

I knew I'd need lots of liquids today after coughing up my left lung upon awakening today. By the end of the work day, it felt like I had coughed up the right one. Upon further review, they are both still there, but the persistent hacking cough was killing my throat. For once I did the non-LeRoy thing and went to the walk-in clinic on my way home from work.

As soon as they know you are coughing, they send you to the Wardrobe Department and you become an extra on the set of Grey's Anatomy.


There was a waiting room full of people like me -- but due to patient confidentially, I took a masked selfie. Am I sick or am I a superhero in disguise?

When all was quiet on the set, I was really hoping for Dr. McDreamy or McSteamy to tend to me. But all I got was a masked witch who shoved a cotton swab down my throat. Based on my past combative nature during throat cultures, I sat on my hands so I wouldn't push her. I still leaned way back. I hope she got enough of a sample because the strep test turned out to be negative. That better be the case.

After listening to my lungs, the McNasty replacement -- Dr. McNice -- told me I had some bronchitis and a virus going on (they always have to say that to cover their bases I think). After consultation with me -- the "extra" in the scene -- we believe we caught it early. So off to the pharmacy I went to get some anti-coughing pills.

Must be an active flu and crud season already. I think the line at the pharmacy was longer than the one at the Packer ticket office.

Sorry, had to get that dig in there.

Not really sorry. The drugs don't make me sleepy so I am typing with all my faculties intact. (At the questionable level they usually are.)

I am going to hit the hay, though. After gargling that disgusting, doctor-ordered salt water, though, I might need to have some Peppermint Stick ice cream to drown that taste. It will be cooling to the throat, too.

I should know. I may not be a real doctor, but I play one on TV.

Stay healthy my friends. Wash hands often and turn your head when you cough. (Or is that for something else?)

Time to go. I'm getting paged by my warm mattress pad!


No comments: