Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Winter WARN-derland

Since I had a church committee meeting over my lunch hour, I had already planned to work from my home office today. That was a good call.

Turns out, the snow and icy drizzle that began while we were sleeping led to some treacherous road conditions for my co-workers (and I'm sure thousands of people I don't know). At some point, it turned into a Winter Storm Warning, which means, yup, it's gonna happen. No escaping.

So in a rare move, they closed my work office and sent everyone home by noon -- but encouraged anyone who can work from home to do so.

I was grateful I didn't have the hour commute. Going into church at 11 was a little messy but not bad. But the hour we were in our meeting, it turned to super snowy and windy. Roads were snow covered and slippery with winds causing brief but scary whiteout conditions. Even though hubby had snow blown the driveway before I went to town, when I got home, I couldn't tell the difference.

It just would not stop!

It looked pretty. But some 7 or 9 inches later and it was a heckuva removal process. Glad Jim and Carter could handle it without me.

I do not know what our grand total is since it is still floating down. What I do know is that they got more in Iola than here. So even if the roads are plowed, the wind is going to be causing some drifting overnight and those dreaded whiteout conditions. Haven't decided yet if I am making the commute in the morning or just continuing my work from here. I was on a roll today so I should be OK either way.

All I can say is my mom picked a good day to go to Texas. She'll be with my sister and brother-in-law for the next 6 weeks. I hope she has fun but misses me terribly and demands I come down there and join them.

One can dream, can't they? It sure worked for the folks who wanted a stinkin' white Christmas this year!


No comments: