Monday, September 29, 2014

Scenic RRRRRRRoute

Without breaking any confidentiality in the "What happens at Sister's Weekend stays at Sister Weekend" clause, I still have plenty of photos I CAN share. Probably too many. But here goes...

This was out 16th Wild Women's Weekend. As part of our Opening Act, my twin and I had a Sweet 16 birthday party!

How did Beaver Dam get its name? Hmmm...

R People turn this way!
On Friday we drove over to historic Cedarburg to check out why it's a hot spot. Mostly it's the shopping, I'm sure, but they also have a covered bridge (for foot traffic only). I took a timed photo on the non-covered bridge in the same park. I look a little funny trying to keep my head out of the way!
 

It's right next to a road with plenty of traffic but they must have been locals. No one stopped but us.
Silhouette of Raylene.
 
The bridge is single lane or, as we say, 7 sisters wide. Our matching shirts say: "I can't remember if I'm the good sister or the evil one."

Spent several hours in Cedarburg eating lunch, shopping, sight-seeing and eating ice cream (of course)!

I felt like Cinderella running into my ugly step-sisters who were not invited to our weekend!
 
Mr. Deck Chair has family everywhere in Wisconsin!
After shopping, we headed east a few miles so we could see Lake Michigan. And other related scenery. Weird flower / weed thing I saw!

Rayna the photographer takes a break from "shooting" to smile. Yup, found the lake.

Did not get any closer than this, though. Only got a cliffside view from up top.

Walked the trail to the rumored set of stairs leading down to the beach. I think they were a mile beyond where the last person on the trail indicated "not too far." I eventually saw them and "radio-ed" back that it was too long of a hike for everyone. So we took the easy route and got into our cars and went north to Port Washington.
There was a park with lake access that did not require any hiking, running or cliff climbing!
Leaving our mark.

Photo ops at the marina downtown...


Not a super impressive lighthouse, but I love them all!

On Saturday morning, the twins decided we just hadn't packed enough into one weekend so we ran a 5K in the very, very, very hilly downtown Beaver Dam. Raylene hadn't run hills like that before. I don't think she was having fun. Well, until it was over anyway. We even medaled!!

Well, ALL the finishers medaled. But it makes for a good story. We did finish 7th and 8th in our division, corresponding to our birth order in our family of 8 kids. Ha.





Later, the "older" girls got their workout at a park down the street from our cabin. Here Romey is laughing and screaming simultaneously while praying she doesn't fall off the teeter-totter.

I'm just hanging around, minding my own business.
Raylene was the only one who could manage a pull-up. She may or may not be just standing on her tippy-toes. I'll never tell.

Rayna is just a-swingin'!
She got a timed photo of all of us on the swings.

We switched up our traditional goodbye group hug on Sunday with a staged sky-diving scene. We are all screaming in fear of falling 3,000 ... centimeters to the ground.
After our goodbyes, I headed from Beaver Dam over to the Warrens Cranberry Festival. Not because I didn't pack enough into my weekend, but because I was hoping to catch Carter marching in the parade.
I had 2 hours of driving and knew the parade would be in full swing when I got there. By the time I found a parking spot and then found the parade route, unit #53 was going by. And the Assumption High School Marching Band was unit #63. Whew! Just in the nick of time.
Thankfully they got a few breaks from playing since the sun was out in full force, it was 80 degrees and their uniforms are more suited to Veterans Day parades in November.
A few dance moves.

Catching Carter in the center of it all.
After the band went by,  I left Warrens and headed home, about an hour away. Go home in time to unpack, spend a half hour with Mr. Deck Chair and watch the Vikings win! Wow.

Great finish to a gRRRRRRReat weekend!


No comments: