Thursday, May 7, 2015

And Counting...


I wasn't just inspired by this quote because I had a good day. I was inspired by it because it reminded me I DID have a good day!

Despite a decent amount of stress, there were blessings to be counted.

First, I sort of got a taste of retirement. Today was my day to work from the home office but I still got up for 5:40 a.m. exercise class. I knew I had a lot to accomplish today and wanted an early start. Well, you know what they say about the best-laid plans...

I got home from class and showered. Then, after seeing Carter off to school, I said to myself, "I am just going to lay down for a minute and take a quick nap." Isn't that what retired folks would do after a hard, early morning workout?

Next thing I know, it is 90 minutes later! So much for an early start. Guess I needed the sleep!

Was cruising along with work when I hit a technical snag. Someone needed some graphic files in a certain format and I was clueless how to do it. Rather than ask for help and risk sounding like an idiot, I searched online, found some instructions and learned a new software program by noon. I mean I had the application downloaded on my computer. I just didn't know how to use it.

I cursed a bit – as the man in the office down the hall can attest to – but then a blessing arrived. Well, two this afternoon.

Not sure which one I am more excited about – getting Mother's Day flowers delivered early (will take pictures when they "open" up) or discovering 4 (yes FOUR) cartons of Schwan's Peppermint Stick ice cream in the big freezer in the garage. Wow.

First of all, of course I appreciate the flowers more. But still, I'm excited about that Peppermint Stick even though it means one of two things: I was either really good on my diet since Christmas or, cringe, I am an ice cream hoarder!

I admit that purchasing it in bulk does reflect a bit of a problem. However, to my willpower credit, I did just finish up a bag of Hershey's Mint Truffle kisses yesterday that I got for Christmas. Had them in the fridge to keep them fresh. They still tasted good. Glad they are gone, though, so I could open up the bag of Dove Mint Chocolate squares that I've had just as long.

Freezers are magical blessing factories, aren't they?

After work, Jim and I went to the Rapids softball game to see our next-door neighbor Madison play since our Assumption teams were playing out of town. She has been having a rock-star season. She leads her conference in batting and was named the central Wisconsin Player of the Week last week when she went 4-for-4 in a game, including 2 home runs.



It was 80 degrees and sunny ... with 25 mph winds. Could have stayed for hours but they beat Wausau by the 10-run rule so the game was shortened. Madison walked 3 times but scored each time. Got my "daughter fix," but will have to go to another game to see her hit one out!

In the meantime, my greatest blessing had to work tonight so I haven't seen him since this morning. He probably doesn't even know he sent me flowers. But I'm sure he would have if he had thought of it first. He got his Debit Card in the mail yesterday so he might as well learn to use it on the RIGHT stuff.

Did you have any blessings today? I hope you remembered to count them!




No comments: