Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mom's Day

When I come across new mothers or relatively (those with toddlers), I tell them every age is "the best age." Every age brings something unique and special that you haven't yet experienced as a mom.

For example, while it is hard to have a teenager who has moved waaaay past the cuddling stage, it is fun to have a child to joke with or talk serious with and it's a two-way conversation. Or see the signs of a great young man who has not lost all the good manners we taught him young.

Looking at "old" Mother's Day photos, I can't believe how much can change. Just in 5 years! Look at Mother's Day 2010....

Carter is puffing his chest out and doing his darndest to be as tall as Mom. He was so excited to be THAT close!

Now look...
He's slim and trim and like 5 inches, maybe 6 inches, taller than me! Or did I just shrink? I knew I should have worn heels today!

What I am wearing, though, is my 3-generation Mother's Day outfit. The dress belonged to my Grandma Flossie (Mom's mom). The necklace belonged to my mom (who purchased it for Uncle Ray and Aunt Barb's wedding in 1965). And the handsome son belongs to ME!

I didn't stay in that dress for too long after church. It turned rather chilly today. No second day of golfing. No bonding time with Mr. Deck Chair. We did enjoy a nice dinner at Jim's parents house.

And I enjoyed a nice conversation with my mom. She participated in the annual Cancer Walk in Luck yesterday. She's done this for several years, many times being among the top 5 individual fundraisers. This year she was third, raising $2,985. She was joined in the walk by 3 of her kids, too. So she was happy about that. I told her to take the rest of the month off!

Which I would love to do, too. But there's always something to do! For the next few days anyway I will take time to stop and smell the flowers...

Because I have some to smell, thanks to Jim and Carter. Hopefully these beauties will have more staying power than my two black thumbs, because they're gorgeous.

Flowers ALMOST brighten my day as much as my boy, who made me a mom – a role I wouldn't trade for all the flowers (or ice cream) in the world!  

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, grandmothers, step-mothers, godmothers, special aunts, sisters and mother hens!


No comments: