Saturday, May 23, 2015

Weekend Warrior :: Day One

By labeling this blog "Day One" I have high hopes I will physically be able to move tomorrow to continue my many projects. That remains to be seen.

It was a busy day. I got up early to get a rhubarb coffee cake in the oven for Book Club. Technically, neighbor Cindy is the host for May but since she just had leg surgery, I served as the event facility host and had it here.

After I got the cake in the oven, I showered and did a quick cleanup in the house, mainly dusting the pollen off the furniture and washing the front door window. Why? Because Murphy, the four-legged fur ball next door, likes to visit "Uncle Jimmy" every day and he puts his nose right up to the window to see if the crazy cat creature is around, too.

The "Before" photo....


And after...
Good thing he's so cute... and just has paws... so I couldn't make him clean up after himself!

Book Club was great. Finally discussed The Girl on the Train. A great read! Had four of us and the new rhubarb recipe didn't turn out too bad either.

After club, I went to the girls soccer game while hubby went to a softball game to watch the girl next door play. The soccer game was more a showdown than a shootout at high noon. It ended in a 0-0 tie. Crazy. Good defense, that's for sure. Was quite warm out today so got a bit sunburned on my right side. There aren't bleachers on opposite side of the field so I couldn't even out my tan!

Did some errands after the game – library, post office, etc – then launched into my next project. This one took a lot more muscle power than the window. First, I had to convince myself that I felt safe out in the yard. No snake sighting in 6 days! Then I had to convince myself I really wanted to tackle a probably 5-year overdue yard project.

And I did.

We have had these crazy-ass juniper shrubs spreading everywhere. They are known to be great "ground cover / spreading shrubs" but we don't want that. Much like the life-like kudzu in the South, we can't seem to stop this from spreading. It has covered our rock border in the front, not to mention sprawling out on the front walkway. I got the hedge clippers and some other cutter thing and tackled  that first.

Everywhere it's dark is where it had spread out. I didn't even know we had rocks along that whole side. Ha. Thanks to a drought winter, those shrubs may actually be dying. Trust me, we do not have a green and gold color scheme going in our yard on purpose!!

Next, I tackled the front...

Ta-da! We can start to see our rock border again! I only made it to the front of the deck and have more to do. But when my hands were cramped, my back started protesting and I was doing more squats than my fitness class, I decided to hit the shower and call it a day.

Especially after Carter comes around from the back of the house and says, "Uhm, Mom, what does a snake nest look like?" Yup. Time to quit. Not funny.

Tomorrow we do have an 80% chance of rain so I don't know if I'll get Day Two in or not. At least not outside. I do have plenty of indoor projects that require a warrior-like effort. I'll keep you posted.

Hope you had an enjoyable "summer" day! Don't overdo it this weekend!


No comments: