Sunday, May 24, 2015

Weekend Warrior :: Day 1.5

If shopping counts as part of my extreme weekend warrior activity, then I'll give myself at least a half-day credit. But first, the important stuff...


Traveled up to Rudolph this morning for their annual Memorial Day ceremony in the St. Philip's Cemetery. Carter and the Assumption Band were playing a variety of patriotic tunes to accompany their program.

I thought it was going to rain so I didn't bring my "big camera." So here a few somewhat distant and fuzzy phone shots...


Was excited to see my retired Pastor Ken as the guest speaker. An interesting and educational message as always!

While the band played the theme song from each branch of service, veterans of each stood to salute.

Area Boy and Girl Scouts placed flags on veterans' graves as part of the ceremony.

A 21-gun salute... well, 7 guns and 3 salutes. It represents so much!

The gentleman who plays "Taps" each year had to stay seated this year. A reminder of how all of our veterans are aging.


Group shot of the band at the end of the ceremony, just as the first drops of rain started to fall. The band quickly dispersed to Wisconsin Rapids, with a majority – including us – stopping at the dairy for ice cream or cheese or both.

It continued to rain the rest of the day and still is. So no, I did not get any yard work done. No, I did not get any indoor projects done either.

Carter and I drove over to the mall in Appleton to do some important shopping. We had to get some gifts for his host family in Germany, plus we both needed shoes. Well, he really needed waterproof ones for Germany. And I needed some black Skechers for work since the Velcro on my current pair is on its last legs. Or feet.

Found what we needed and were home a little after 4:30 p.m. At 5, we left to go over to some friends' for a barbeque. Yes, it's possible to do in the rain if your grill is partially in the garage and is surrounded by responsible adults. Ha, right.

Had a nice time and the "kids" even got a campfire started during a rain break. I felt a little guilty not being home and getting things done, but as I pointed out yesterday, this is sort of the transition to end of school year/start of summer. Who knows when we'll get together with this "school parent" group of friends again?

Always put your family and friends before work... except when you're teaching your child about work ethics. Then there are no exceptions...

Except tasty brats and fresh cheese curds.


No comments: