Sunday, August 16, 2015

55 and Alive

To say the least, it has been one heck of a challenging year for my twin and her family.

During the winter, her truck-driving husband Steve got into a terrible accident while driving through a snowstorm. Due to injuries, he hasn't been able to work since. He recently underwent back surgery and now has a shoulder surgery on his agenda this week. Next Sunday, he turns 55. Raylene decided a few weeks ago it would be a good time to hold a "I'm 55 and Still Alive" surprise celebration today.

So, with some good Sunday polka music to accompany us, Jim and I headed Up North to Siren this morning and we let our own party boy sleep in. While my niece Ashley was leading her dad on a wild goose chase to keep him out of the house, we all parked next door, walked to Steve and Raylene's and set up.

In the picture above, Raylene is thanking us all for our support.

Here we are waiting for Steve's arrival. It was a great crowd, mostly Steve's relatives and friends, but two of my sisters, my mom and one of my nephews were there, too.

Was he surprised? Oh yes! Even though he saw the big crowd when they parked the truck, I don't think he realized it was for HIM until we yelled the traditional "Surprise!" and "Happy Birthday!"

Giving Raylene a hug and giving Ashley the third degree about her "involvement." Good job, girl!

Steve and Jim: Brotherly love. Well, brother-in-lawly love!

After some good food and cake, we hit the road to head back to Rapids. We made a pit stop in Eau Claire to see son No. 1 at work.

Casey styling in his Toppers uniform! We weren't hungry since we had just eaten but decided to share a small order of their famous Toppers Stix.

Jim's half was TacoStix and mine was Chocolate BaconStix. Why yes, that dipping sauce IS chocolate frosting! One stick was enough. But I had two. Brought the other two home for Carter, who did clean up the back yard today and did get most of his German project completed.

We're all tired. I think I need an extra day between Sunday and Monday! But so grateful for family, friends and health. That makes it all worth it!



No comments: