Monday, August 3, 2015

If a Tree Falls...

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Typically this one of those philosophical thought experiments that raises questions regarding observation and our knowledge of reality. Here's MY reality...

"If a tree falls in the back yard and Robyn doesn't hear it, did it make a sound?" My answer is no...

So yesterday was the hottest day of the year around these parts. It got up to 93 degrees! After church, hubby went golfing, Carter went to the lake and I was multi-tasking. And by multi-tasking I mean catching rays while catching up with my neighbor Cindy AND bonding with our deck chairs. That is a lot of juggling there, but I am here to tell you, I handled it with finesse.

We had heard reports all morning of the "enhanced chance" of severe weather, but at the time, it was perfectly sunny and very, very breezy.

We only spent an hour outside and it really wasn't long after I came inside that dark clouds popped up out of nowhere and we were under a severe thunderstorm warning. I got a hold of Carter at the lake and told him to seek shelter. It was hard to know what was coming.

Well, it went just as quickly as it came. The winds picked up and I think the clouds were trying to rain but we only got a small smattering of drops. I thought it was over and then I started to hear the "ping, ping, ping" on the roof.

Hail!

I want to say it probably hailed for less than 60 seconds. I was so concerned about taking a picture before it melted in the 90-degree heat that I didn't realize I had bigger problems in the back yard.

It wasn't until Jim came home from golfing that we (he!) realized we lost some limbs off a tree.

The bigger one we got cut up right away. Then tonight, a chainsaw toting neighbor helped us with the smaller, taller one.

I guess Carter will have some firewood for an upcoming party he has in the works. In the meantime, I might have to get my hearing checked. Otherwise, those poor falling trees in the forest won't get the sound credits they deserve!


No comments: