Thursday, August 6, 2015

Pounding the Pavement

I could never be one of those sports arena vendors hawking goods while yelling up and down the stairs of their assigned section. One, I think people would just plain ignore me or ask me to get out of the way. Two, it's just plain tiring.

Tonight, our cross country team got to sell 50-50 tickets at the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters baseball game. We haven't had a fundraiser for cross country before so we were excited to learn that tonight's crowd was to be the biggest of the season. Money, money, money!

I had designed t-shirts for the team (see above) and brought those with but we didn't have a whole lotta team members there. Carter was, thankfully. We had two pairs of boys, the coach went off by himself and I paired up with Sammy, our middle school runner.



What did we learn? Selling raffle tickets is easy when you've got the cuteness factor! The tickets are as tall as Sammy, but don't let her size fool you. She's the rock star of our girls cross country team!

The two of us did pretty well despite an unexpected challenge of having another organization sell tickets. This other group was there the wrong night but rather than start over, we decided we'd evenly split our earnings.

I think we cleared like $350, which is better than nothing. Not sure what it will be used for – maybe post-race waters for the season. Definitely don't need them for t-shirts since I got those for $7 a piece. Yes, I am a bargain shopper. Good thing, too, since there were 9 other designs voted on and I liked some of those even more. For $7 each, I can afford a few, even without winning the 50-50.

Right now my reward is just getting off my feet. Guess I am not cut out for pounding the pavement like a door-to-door salesman.

I can always bring my adorable sidekick, though...



No comments: