Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Leaving Our Mark


Probably fitting that it was a chilly August day when Dad's gravestone marker was installed. He really disliked heat and humidity!

Hard to believe it took two years to get this chosen, purchased, delivered and installed. But sometimes delays happen when there are 9 people in the decision-making process. Not that I'd trade my big family for anything!

Among decisions were the symbols engraved near each of our parent's names. Dad's tree represents "The Lone Spruce," his CB handle back in his trucking days, plus his enjoyment of nature in general and the sunshine (as long as it wasn't too hot or humid). Mom's was harder, partly because she is still with us and had her say in the matter. We were thinking flowers since she has the this super-duper green thumb, but she wanted a pen and paper to illustrate the countless letters she has and continues to write. I think my mom single-handedly keeps the U.S. Postal Service in business!

What would be on your marker? What would symbolize your life?

I'm not sure about me. I always say that's why I could never get a tattoo. Could not choose that ONE thing that symbolizes me or what mark I am leaving. That, and I am not a big fan of needles or pain or the guaranteed fainting spell!

Regarding Dad's stone, though, it will be nice to have something concrete to talk to when I visit him. I can carry on a pretty good conversation with the flower stand that had been posted at his gravesite all this time, but this will be firmer sign of his presence.

And of his absence.

Thank goodness he often visits me in my dreams. And, of course, I am a mini-version of him every time I offer an opinion. I'm surprised we didn't put a Wikipedia or Google icon on his side of the stone, because he knew everything!

There, I guess I have an idea for mine now, as well. I, too, have answer for everything.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, Dad. I'm on your side!


No comments: