Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Because Doesn't Tell Me Anything


When the boys were younger and possibly in trouble, Daddy would ask them, "Why did you do that?" And they inevitably would reply: "Because."

He would promptly respond: "Because doesn't tell me anything!"

That's true. Yet, I tried to use that tonight when I made an appearance at kickboxing class for the first time in a week. If I put as much effort into getting to class as I do making up excuses, I'd be so much further ahead. I realize this, but don't always act on that wise thought pattern.

Instead, I was thinking about how I had an aching back and neck last week, then my calves started hurting from a few runs I took. Oh, and I missed BECAUSE my work schedule was a bit crazy so I couldn't get to early or late class on a few of those days. And, well, the teacher and sub were gone for a four-day weekend.

Is that a good enough bundle of excuses?

Nope. Not according to my trainer.

He worked me hard and I will probably start a new round of aches and pains tomorrow. And that's all on me.

Now you know from previous blogs that I really, really love my cardio kickboxing classes. So I really, really do have good reasons if I can't make it. I'll just have to try harder to get my priorities straight.

Don't you find that the longer you fall off the wagon – whatever your "wagon" may be – that it is harder and harder to get back on? I guess we're all human.

Humans with big stockpiles of excuses, but still humans who deserve second chances. Do you have something you've been purposely avoiding? A habit you've been trying to break? A habit you've been trying to start?

Get back on the wagon! I will give you a boost and join you!

No excuses.


No comments: