Saturday, August 15, 2015

Pre-Senior Moments


Since before his birthday in May, Carter has wanted to hold a class party with a campfire. With the busy summer schedule between work and a trip to Germany, he finally scheduled a "senior class party" for today.

Obviously, there was no way to know he'd be hosting a hot fire on the hottest day of summer. But the incoming AHS senior class was not deterred.

I knew we had some work to get done in the backyard before the party. And by "we" I mean mostly me. And as usual (like my July 4th weekend rock garden project) I picked the hottest day to do yard work. Between the heat and my first sight of the day being a snake, I almost said, "forget it." But I couldn't turn my back on the overgrown weeds and everything thing else crying for help back there.

So I clipped and cleaned and filled two wheelbarrows with those "extras." It was so hot out, I was literally dripping with sweat. Yet, Carter seemed surprised that I asked HIM to mow the back yard. I said, "I have had enough physical labor today!"

After that we were a team. He helped me move furniture back on the recently painted decks. And I helped him set up in the backyard. Oh and made cookies and bars and bought chips and other snacks. Hubby went to 6 p.m. church tonight and picked up pizzas on the way home so there was plenty to eat. And Carter filled 3 coolers with much-needed cold drinks on this hot day.

He told people to come at 7. After more than a dozen girls had arrived, I started to wonder if he had really invited his whole class or just the girls! Granted, his class is about 2-to-1 girls to boys, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Finally, some guys showed up and, before we knew it, there were a dozen cars in the driveway and road and some 25-30 seniors bonding before the start of their last year together.

From our view in the air-conditioned house, it looked like they were having a great time. So glad it worked out for our host!

Jim and I were invited to a fire, too, just down the road. So I walked down and enjoyed some "friend time" and now it's Jim's turn. The party is still going strong and I think the kids are going to outlast me. When did 11 p.m. become so LATE?

Guess I'm starting to have my pre-senior moments, too.





No comments: