Monday, December 28, 2015

Taking on Goliath

I'm not a fan of the weathermen naming winter storms like they're friends we should get to know. And when they name it after a giant – Goliath – it can't be a good thing.

And it isn't.


The forecast kept changing throughout the day and each time I saw it, I liked it less and less. Bad enough it predicted 6-8 inches. But by day's end, Wisconsin Rapids (the pretty snowflake above) was in the path forecast to get maybe 13 or 14 inches. Not nice.


I'm always skeptical when the weather dudes can pinpoint the start of snow by the hour – days in advance. Yet, I was surprised today when the flakes started falling at 1 p.m. instead of the announced 3 p.m. start. I looked out the window at work and this was at 2 p.m. An hour in and grass still showing.


At 4 p.m. the grass was covered – and so was the parking lot and the roads. It was just an awful drive home but I was so grateful it was less than 10 miles away instead of 45! Don't miss that.


It's still falling heavily and the wind is whipping. Of course, the authorities strongly suggested people stay home tonight, but the invincible teenager drove off to pick up a gal pal and bring her back to our house. So they're watching a movie and the snow will pile up even more on the roadways before he takes her home. 

Guess teen boys have their priorities!


Hubby's priority is putting a dent in the "first round" so it won't be such a Goliath task in the morning. I guess I should go clear off the decks to do my part. David might have been able to defeat Goliath on his own, but it will take a team effort here.

And by team, I mean us old folks who don't have anything better to do!



No comments: