Thursday, December 3, 2015

Power of Positive Thinking


A person doesn't know the power of positive thinking until she tests it. Sometimes she may be surprised at the results. The real power it can bring.

Let me tell you about an old friend of mine who found that power.

Back in the early 1990s, I had my first newspaper job as a general assignment reporter for a daily paper in Menominee, Mich. My "general" coverage area was right across the river in Marinette, where I lived and wrote stories about county and city government, cops, courts and the fire department.

I spent a lot of "free time" at the fire department. Wouldn't you if you were 21 and one of two females in the fire house at any given time? The other female was Rene, the secretary to the chief. We had a bond as women. She put up with their silly grief and I did, too, but dished it right back. We both shared a few eye-rolling moments, too, naturally.

When I moved away after 4 years, we lost touch. It wasn't the age of "let's keep in touch via email or text or Facebook." You had to call (long distance) or write. It just didn't happen. But I didn't forget her since I had so many, uhm, fond memories of her workplace. Ha.

Sadly, 2 1/2 years ago I read a story about her from the Marinette newspaper. The firefighters were selling pink shirts as a fundraiser for Rene, who had been forced into very early retirement due to breast cancer.

Doctors first found a lump in 2011. Between then and July of 2013, she underwent chemotherapy, a double mastectomy and radiation. Despite that, doctors found that it had returned and metastasized in her liver, and eventually a tumor was found growing on her lung, too. She told the reporter that basically, she had been given until March/April 2013 as an "expiration date." Apparently, the power of positive thinking also has "staying power."

After seeing the story, I tracked down her address and sent her a card and letter, letting her know I was thinking of her and praying for her. She wrote a nice, but sad note in return, letting me know she was Stage 4 and terminal, but still wanted to connect on Facebook.

What I have seen in the last 2 years is a very positive woman. She did not feel like God had let her down. At 53, her main concern was seeing her 2 children graduate, which they did. She found strength from them and friends and her faith. I was inspired. In the face of death, how does one stay positive? It's always so amazing to witness.

Over Thanksgiving she was in the hospital. For good. On Monday she posted on Facebook that she could no longer speak, but could still listen. Yesterday she said, "Although I'm weak I was able to smile today. I hope you were able to as well." Her last days and she was still thinking of others!

This afternoon, perhaps with the help of her daughter, she posted: "Today I left this world to join my best friend ... and finally meet my Lord. I left with a big smile and now I'm at peace."

Yep, I have a lump in my throat, too.

It sure is a wake-up call to stop whining about trivial things, isn't it? I was just complaining about this darn cough and cold both hubby and I have had for over a month. Yeah, it sucks. But cancer sucks more.

Than anything.

I feel blessed to have known such a strong woman with such a positive outlook. It makes me want to be a better "me." One day at a time, I'll keep working at it.

I am grateful you can rest in peace now, Rene. I pray for all of you who have lost a loved one to cancer or are fighting the battle right now. God bless those of you, too, who are missing someone for the first time this Christmas season. May the memories bring you holiday cheer.


No comments: