Sunday, February 21, 2016

A Little Hoopla

Distance is relative. As seasoned commuters (100 miles per day) and round-trip road-trippers (8 hours Up North and back in a single day), it doesn't seem like a big deal to drive an hour or so to see a high school basketball game. And it certainly is worth it to see family "close" by.

I noticed on Facebook yesterday my 3rd cousin (ha, cousin Laryn's granddaughter and second cousin Candy's daughter ) was playing in a 5th-grade state championship hoops tournament over in the Fox Valley. For us in this area of the state, that's what we call Appleton, Neenah, etc, by the Fox River – a mere 65-70 minutes away. Unfortunately, I saw the info after the day's fun was done. But, since Miss Lilly and her Siren Dragon teammates were undefeated, they were set to play today, too.

Her first game was at 8 a.m. and a second was at 10:30 a.m. I knew I could not make either of those because today was a big day for our church. We were "installing" (not sure why they call it that) a new pastor. So we had one combined service at 9:30 a.m. to accommodate the bishop and a larger crowd. I think we're all pretty excited for a new beginning!

After church, Candy had messaged me that they won the first two games and would play at 1 p.m. at Appleton North High School. Since church went waaaaay long, I knew I would get there late but decided to go for it. Nice day. Nice roads. Why not?

Got there at almost 1:15 and thankfully the game started almost 15 minutes late. Like I planned it!


I didn't have time to change into Siren Dragon green at home (plus a Luck Cardinal only has red anyway), but I discovered I matched Lilly's socks so it was all good.


Nice to see Candy, her hubby and her other 2 daughters as well. So weird she's a grown-up momma and I used to babysit her when she was a year old! Apparently I am getting old and didn't notice!

The game was fun and nerve-wracking to watch. For 5th-graders, they sure hustle! In our opinion on the green side, the other team took hustle a little too far, but the fans can't make that call. In the end, they lost their first game of the weekend by 3 points. Nothing sadder than seeing these little girls cry over a loss!

Still, they played one more game and won that by 2 points to take 3rd place in the state! You can't cry over that. I was back home by the time that was done but Candy posted the photo above of Lilly wearing her medal holding the team trophy. Nice work!

Of course, Lilly's older sister Alayna also plays hoops and she told me the Siren high school team has done very well this year. They actually are in the same division as Assumption – D5 – so there technically is a possibility they could both make it to state and even play each other. Now that would be a hoot!

One step at a time. Playoffs start on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

Still, I'm hoping there's a road trip in our future.




No comments: