Friday, February 19, 2016

Star Power


If you heard any cursing this morning at 5 a.m., that could have been us.

And by us I mean me for hearing my alarm, Jim for hearing my alarm after just getting home from the airport at 1:30 a.m., and Carter for not hearing his alarm but hearing "the voice" waking him up since he had to be at school at 6 a.m.

Today was his last district Solo and Ensemble competition – but not his last ensemble performance.

If you heard any cheering this afternoon, that could have been us.

And by us I mean all 3 of us happy that Carter earned a trip to State Solo and Ensembles for the third year in a row. Way to kick brass, kiddo!

In order to be chosen for state, a band or choir student must perform a Class A selection. Carter didn't do this his freshman year but has done so since, usually at least two brass ensembles and the smaller trio. This year he and his baritone did a larger brass ensemble – 8 musicians – and a trio with friends Olivia and Macie (above).

To move onto state, judges need to give a Class A starred first. A "regular" first won't get you there. The large brass group got a starred first! We still don't know if the trio is moving on or not. They performed toward the end of the day and the results weren't posted when Carter left.

My friend Lisa (Olivia's mom) was there so she took the picture of them. I love that both Macie and Carter are on their tippy toes. The only reason I know Carter was on his is because he has never been as tall as Olivia. Ever. She's even crouching down a bit. These kids. Apparently not nervous at all!

I hope they did well. Either way, Carter will have more brass to kick at State. Set your alarm early on May 7!


No comments: