Saturday, February 13, 2016

Restorative Nature


Restorative: Having the ability to restore health, strength, or a feeling of well-being.
 
 

Just inside the grounds of the Winnebago Correctional Center lies a garden. I don't recall seeing it this past summer or fall, but today, under a clear bright sky reflecting on the stark white snow, it caught my attention.

WCC Restorative Justice Garden.

I love that name. It speaks volumes for what that place is doing for my nephew. On one side of the equation we have "restorative" – restoring health, strength and a feeling of well-being – and on the other we have "justice" – the quality of being fair and reasonable.

In Tony's case, he is getting his physical and mental health back so that he can return to being the fair, reasonable – and even responsible – young man we all love. It is such a blessing to see that I want to cry sometimes.

We talked about this in my visit there this afternoon. A lot of bad stuff had to happen to get him to the good "restoration in progress" place he is in today. The key will be tending to that "garden," even in the off season, so it can continue to grow in the positive direction. I know that and he knows that. It will take work, dedication and serious support.

"I'll be your wingman," I told him, and pointed to my sagging triceps. "Which wing do you want?" (Hey, if you can't laugh in prison, where can you laugh?)

It was just great to see him and give him Valentines hugs from a dozen people! It always puts my troubles and blessings in perspective. In fact, my entire day was restorative.

I managed to get up for strength class followed by a relaxation segment. I stopped in at Assumption to see part of a grade-school hoops tourney game my friend's son was playing in. Got to drop off some donations at Goodwill. Had a nice visit with Tony followed by a great visit with my former "work husband" Angelo and his wife, Robyn, who live less than 15 minutes up the road from WCC. Then I shopped in Appleton a bit for my Valentines back home. And had sunny, safe travels all around in the subzero temperatures.

Time with friends and family are definitely the perennial blessings in my garden. What's growing in yours?




No comments: