Monday, February 1, 2016

Base Coat

The secret to a good manicure is 3 steps: Apply Base Coat, then Polish (or Jamberry), then Top Coat.

Apparently our driveway is taking a cue. I noticed this morning – after a crunchy walk out to the mailbox – that we have a nice base coat of ice ALL OVER it. Just waiting for a layer of snow – about 8 inches high – topped with freezing drizzle perhaps. Lovely.

Actually a few photos do look lovely, in that artsy, let's pretend we like winter, way...




It was warm (Wisconsin warm) and sunny today so some of it is gone now. Hubby tried to shovel as much to the side as he could so he doesn't have to break the snowblower on ice chunks tomorrow. If, in fact, he needs it.

I'm still not sure I'm convinced the storm is coming. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't even have a name, does it? How come Goliath counted because it was hitting America's midsection but we get diddly because, well, we're used to snow? Hmm.

I was quite surprised, staring at out the sunny window at the office, that area schools were already declaring a snow day tomorrow. I mean 3 p.m. Monday and they are calling it. I hope for their sake the weather forecasters are right. I was thinking districts would be looking at Wednesday, when we all have to shovel or snowblow out. But I guess they're onto something.

Naturally, OUR school district was last in line. Typically, because of their size, Rapids and Stevens Point are the hold-outs. But Point called school off by mid-afternoon. I couldn't believe it! Rapids just made the call a few minutes ago – in time for a certain teenager in our house to shut off his alarm. Lucky.

I was figuring we wouldn't cancel because the latest forecast downsized us from the 8-12 inches to just 7-11 inches. And I do say "just 7-11" because, well, we are used to it, after all. And here's one forecast that is just vague enough to be correct...

Can't go wrong predicting "sizeable" snow and slippery roads. Duh.

And I can't wrong planning for somebody to drive me to work in the morning just so I can avoid the drive home later. With the alarm already off downstairs, I'm guessing the somebody sleeps right next to me.

I better lay on the charm like a thick layer of base coat!


No comments: