Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Five Things


Not sure what to give up for Lent? I made this nice graphic as a cheat sheet for you.

Well, for me, really.

I always think it's the ice cream and cookies that are weighing me down, when in fact it's a lot of other things. So while I am trying to give up the treats as part of Weight Watchers, I will try my hand at this other list for Lent and beyond.

We had a very good sermon tonight at Ash Wednesday service. A big focus on self examination and repentance. Definitely spoke to me and my chronic condition of self-centeredness, which is somewhat reflected in all 5 items on my list.

I must ask myself: Am I trying to please everyone so I can help them and make them happy – or so they will like me? Am I afraid of change because it might humble me and lower my skill levels a notch? Definitely dealing with that. Am I letting my past still make me feel unworthy and unholy today? Do I put myself down because of 1, 2 and 3 or am I begging someone to tell me something positive I cannot see? Why do I overthink? I guess refer to this entire paragraph!

My challenge is that giving up these things really is going to be harder than skipping trips to Dairy Queen. Thankfully I do not have to do it alone.

We were reminded tonight, as disciples of Jesus, we are being called to a discipline that contends against evil and resists whatever leads us away from love of God and neighbor. I invite you to join me on my journey to the discipline of Lent – self-examination and repentance, prayer and fasting, sacrificial giving and works of love – strengthened by the gifts of word and sacrament.

I'm at a pretty low starting point so it may take more than 40 days to even see progress. Good thing God is patient. Now if I can get others around me to feel the same way 'til i get my head on straight!

Blessings to you this Lenten season!


No comments: