Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Exercising My Right

I know you don't want to hear yet another person's political views, but it's my blog and this is where I stand...


Hey, they say every vote counts, right?

Seriously, though, I am wondering how many calories I burned today exercising my right vote!

I know. Stop me.

Today's a big day in Wisconsin as we participate in the presidential primary and cast our opinions on a lot of other topics and races. While Wisconsin Rapids picks a mayor, those of us out in the "country" had town supervisors, county board and school board candidates to pick.

I thought of voting on my way to work and even home early to do so. When I saw cars lined up on the road plus a full parking lot at the Grand Rapids town hall, I continued on to work. Around 10 a.m., a co-worker (fellow township resident) and I drove over and the line of voters was out the door. So we circled the block and went back to work. Finally at 3 p.m., we took another "coffee break" and got in no problem, no waiting. And we beat the nasty "spring" weather of rain, sleet and snow. Yuck.

I was voter No. 2,169 and I heard later that they'd gotten to at least 2,800 so we'll have more than a 50 percent voter turnout for our township anyway. It's exciting that we have what is considered a great turnout but sad to think of all those people not out there exercising!

I just won't take that right for granted. I also especially enjoy the freedom of just voting and not being a member of the media having to report on it all night. Don't miss those days!

Do want to give a shout out to all the municipal clerks (like my sisters Romey and Raylene) and all the election workers. It really takes amazing teamwork of selfless individuals to make our actions possible. Thank you! Based on the high traffic at the polls around the state, you all deserve a pat on the back and a day off!

But first, make sure that candidate who can end winter wins the election! Please.


No comments: