Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Parenting :: The Struggle is Real



Some people think the hardest part about being a parent of a teenager is the moods, the eye-rolling, the drama.

It's not.

The hardest part is our own emotional tug-of-war between holding on to our babies in the safety of our arms and letting them go and grow. It's knowing we can't do both. It's knowing we will always love them but can't always protect them.

And it scares the hell out of us.

My heart goes out to some Wisconsin parents who lost teenagers this week.

In the national news, you heard about a shooting outside of a high school prom setting in Antigo. Two prom-goers were shot and injured. The shooter was shot before he could fire on any more students, and later died. I don't know them. I don't even know all the facts behind the incident. But I can feel the heartbreak of the parents of the shooter, who are trying to understand his motives... The concern of the parents of the victims... And perhaps an underlying fear of many of us parents wondering, "Aren't our children safe anywhere?"

Locally, a tragedy hit last evening, when a sophomore from Nekoosa left a track meet feeling ill and died a short time later at the hospital. A popular (and physical fit) athlete, it has been a shock to her family and friends. I don't know the girl or her family personally. I don't even know all of the facts behind the incident because reports have varied. I do know a lot of people who knew her, played sports with her, and adored her. They are searching for answers. They wonder as we all do, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" I feel their heartbreak.

And at the same time, am so grateful I have my own moody, eye-rolling teenager to hug for today at least.

Thank you, God, for that gift.

Thank you, God, that he is feeling normal again.

Thank you, God, for welcoming Jakob and Brandy into Your safe and loving arms. Take care of their families, too.


No comments: