Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Play Ball!


Waking up to 24 degrees on a Tuesday, as the picture illustrates above, can only mean one thing: Opening day for Royals baseball has arrived!

After a "cold" out last week (as opposed to a rain out, I guess), the boys finally had their first game and it was on home field.

Game time temperature at 4:45 p.m. was about 48, I think. So at least it warmed up. Still needed winter coats and hats and gloves and blankets. At least it was sunny to start. Kind of weird seeing the lineup without my boy as #9 out there, but I gotta let that go. In the photo above, Asst. Coach Austin is on the far left.

Hearing the National Anthem for opening day always brings goose bumps. Well add in the windchill, and that contributed I am sure.

Coach Ryan (left) gives final pre-game strategy thoughts to coaches Jimmy, Greg (top right) and statistician Jason (seated). He's got a great crew. Not that I am biased. And he did a good job as his first game as head coach.

Hubby coaching first base.

Low-five-ing a player reaching first.

While it was a good game, we still came out with an L, not a W. We had some awesome contacts offensively, but Northland Lutheran was one step ahead defensively and they were catching all those great, would-be hits. Dang. Left batters stranded a few times, too, so it could have been our game.

The positive in my opinion, and nobody asked, is that it was only a 3-1 loss and we have our whole season ahead of us to keep improving and capitalizing on those scoring opportunities.

Should be a fun season to watch, even with only one of my guys on the team. Plus, as some point, spring should arrive, right?

Please, please, say I'm right!



No comments: