Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Angst Over Angels


For as many times as I've seen depictions of the winged cherubim like those in Raphael's Madonna painting, it's never crossed my mind that angels that look like children could actually represent children in heaven.

I was sadly reminded of this today.

As if there hasn't been enough needless tragedy in central Wisconsin lately, the first news of the morning was of an apparent double homicide-suicide in Wisconsin Rapids – that occurred while most of us were in bed sleeping and possibly dreaming of angels.

As details were released throughout the day, we learned a father had apparently shot and killed his two young children before turning the gun on himself. To reiterate my despair yesterday, it just sickens my heart when a child is taken too soon for any reason. But to be taken in such a violent nature is incomprehensible.

I can't conceive a situation or circumstance where a child deserves to be harmed. But I do know that not everyone is equipped with appropriate coping mechanisms. In a perfect world, people would seek help instead of choosing to harm others or themselves. But we don't live in that perfect world.

We live in a world where a 3-year-old boy angel and 5-year-old girl angel were sent to heaven with their father today while their mother, grandparents, other family and friends, are forced to stay on Earth ... and grieve and endure a pain like no other.

It's sad that I know so many people connected to this family and this tragedy. I am reminded that a city of 20,000 can still be a small town. An isolated event can impact so many.

Can there be a positive from such pain? Possibly. If it can call attention to all the resources available to people who need help, maybe it can prevent further tragedies down the road. I pray that will be the case. This is just been too much in such a short period of time.

I think even God has a shed a tear. I can't blame Him.

In more ways than one, we can't blame Him.


No comments: