Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Chicken Soup for the Skol


The weather forecast for tomorrow calls for a high of 54 and low of 31 with an 80% chance of rain and 100% chance of chicken noodle soup!

It's the time of year where we just don't know what Mother Nature has in store as we head out the door. Today, for example, the weather dudes had suggested a 70% of rain. Well that was done by 7 a.m. and the day turned out sunny and rather nice, I'd say.

Still, it was a nice surprise to come home to a cool-weather favorite: hubby's homemade chicken noodle soup – or as I like to call it, Chicken Soup for the SKOL!

Hey, you gotta cut me some slack here. We have the only, yes only, undefeated team in the NFL. Gotta show my Horns a little bit! In fact, I have the word SKOL written on my white board at work this week and some co-workers – obviously non-Viking fans and non-Scandihoovian – wondered what the Norwegian or Swedish word meant, or if it was related to chewing tobacco, which I believe is actually Skoal.

In answer, naturally, I started singing the Vikings fight song that fans sing after every score.

Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down,
Then get a touchdown.
Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You'll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol, Vikings, let's go!

My musical talents were not appreciated. And apparently it didn't completely clarify the meaning of SKOL. Perhaps my dancing with the singing is a bit distracting.

It's just a Nordic word for a toast of celebration, like "Cheers!" or "To Good Health!" or "Purple Pride!"

Since I don't have any lager in a stein, I'll just lift up my soup bowl for a toast. And since he made a huge stock pot and there are only two of us, I may be skol-ing every day until they play again... and they have a bye this week!

I don't mind. It tastes yummy and it's good for the skol, er soul.


No comments: