Friday, October 7, 2016

Home, Sweet Homecoming


For some Royal fans, the excitement of homecoming is highlighted by the burning of the Assumption letter A. For this Royal fan, it is the meaning of the word homecoming, as in coming home!

Yup, a month of empty nesting was long enough! My baby is back home. Granted, for less than 48 hours, but still home.

The 3 AHS grads at UW-P traveled together from Platteville today, arriving in Rapids a little after 4 p.m. When I got home from work, I thought I beat the boy home so I could welcome him. Jim never said anything to the contrary. All of a sudden, I come out of my office, about to yell something about today's mail, and here comes Mr. Handsome down the hallway!

I hugged him and squeezed him and hugged him and squeezed him some more!

Oh and of course, forced him to take a selfie with me...


Yeah, I guess I was just a LITTLE excited to have him home. Couldn't stop smiling – or hugging and squeezing him. Ha. How did I think I was going to manage until November?!

He took off pretty much right away. "I haven't driven in ages!" And I figured we wouldn't be seeing him much this weekend. It's his homecoming, after all, and it's a bonus visit since we weren't expecting him this month. But still, it's hard to have him so close, yet not.

I guess this is the part where he's growing up and I need to, too. Hopefully some time tomorrow amidst all the homecoming festivities, we can sit down and catch up beyond our recent texts and brief phone calls. We'll take what we can get!

Jim and I went to the Oktoberfest brat fry at the school and the pep rally / bonfire after. Carter stopped at the school to meet up with a few friends and is heading over to someone's house tonight. At least I managed to sneak another hug!

This weekend is going to fly. I'll just keep collecting hugs when I can and store them in a safe place until I need them again.

For now, I'm just grateful he is home, sweet home.



No comments: