Saturday, October 8, 2016

Royal Pride and Then Some


Whirlwind day of Royal activities today as Assumption wrapped up Homecoming week with the football game and dance. But not before our Royal runners hit the links, well Ridges Golf Course, to compete in the Rapids Cross Country Invitational.

Let's just say a big shout out to Mother Nature first, for bringing out the sun on an otherwise very chilly day! It could have been worse!

Instead, I managed to stay warm enough in my winter hat and jacket to take a hundred pictures or two at cross country. Ha. Can't break the habit! Stopped home to add on another layer and charge my phone. As I grabbed it to head out the door to the football game some 15 minutes later, it was dead. I couldn't get it to turn on no matter what buttons I pressed or what charger I used. Ugh. Do I have time to deal with this?

Knowing Carter was already playing with pre-game Pep Band, I grabbed an old camera that could fit in my jacket pocket (added batteries first!) and got to the game as they finished playing their last song before the fight song and national anthem.

So at least I got one more picture of him half hidden behind that baritone! Olivia and Macie are also 2016 grads – and frankly, the ones convincing him to play. He wasn't going to respond to begging from me or the band director!


It was a very exciting game. We played Owen-Withee, who had just two conference losses, I believe. They scored on their first possession – as in returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown! Yikes. That wasn't a good way to start!

Somehow, though, we managed to keep pace with them, answering each of their scores. And, despite turning it over a few times, were able to score a winning touchdown with less than 2 minutes to go! So not only did we sort of pull off an upset with the 28-21 win, we also became "playoff eligible." Very good news with just one regular season game left!

After the game, I raced over to the Verizon store to see if I needed a new phone or what. They couldn't get it back on at first either. Then they did some magical "reboot" and it was jump-started. Whew. And I didn't lose any data, photos, anything. Another whew!

I could get on with my life!

This evening, Jim is off with some friends to prep something for their hunting land. Jim doesn't hunt but he does know how to pack a cooler! So while he is off having fun, I went on a dinner date!

Yup, finally got some time with the boy. Had a tasty meal at Tamarack's Pub and good conversation. I warned him I was going to ask about everything from the roommate to classes to food. We got it all covered, I think. And it was great. I had to congratulate him on "adulting" very well.

After dinner, we went to the Homecoming Grand March, then he went off with friends again. It's all good. I got my one-on-one time so my weekend needs are fulfilled.

As a bonus, I not only have Royal Pride but Parent Pride, too. Hopefully that comes more often than one week a school year!


No comments: