Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Go Ahead, Punk-in


It might sound like the mantra of a crazy person, but there really are a lot of Pumpkin Spice options this time of year. To add to Forrest and Bubba's list above, this season I have also tried pumpkin spice coffee (non-latte), pumpkin spice cereal, pumpkin spice ice cream, pumpkin spice eggnog, pumpkin spice pudding and pumpkin spice Pop Tarts.

To name a few. I just, well, like pumpkin spice!

And apparently I am not alone. Did you know today is National Pumpkin Day? Go ahead, Punk. Mock me now!

Maybe this "holiday" was designed to praise the pumpkin and fall harvest. But it has morphed into all sorts of pumpkin possibilities – and they probably all have their own "day" as well.

I don't always observe random holidays, but when I do, baking is required.


I whipped up a Pumpkin Spice Trifle last night. Wasn't sure would go well together but as an experienced mix-ologist, this is what I came up with, from the bottom up...

Layers 1 and 4: Baked a yellow cake mix but added 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix for flavor. This was a really light flavor though, so you probably could go with 2 teaspoons or a tablespoon. After it cooled completely, I crumbled it up for the two layers.

Layers 2 and 5: Pumpkin Spice instant pudding with some Pumpkin Spice Eggnog mixed in with the milk.

Layer 3 and 6: Planned on Cool Whip only for both layers but I was short on pudding for top layer so mixed pudding with the Cool Whip.

Very top: Dollop of Cool Whip and a Maple Leaf Sandwich Cookie. Found those at Aldi. Nice visual touch but they taste like Maple (duh) and that doesn't go with Pumpkin. Trust me on this. So I will find a different use for the rest of the package. (Maybe cookies with a side of bacon?)

And that is that.

Brought it to work today and didn't even have crumbs to bring home, so I guess it turned out OK! Plus we had a bigger group in our department since 3 team members who normally work offsite are in town today and tomorrow for meetings. We had dessert first, then went out to eat for dinner after work.

Probably a good plan to sweeten them up since tomorrow is National Cranky Co-Workers Day!


No comments: