Saturday, July 22, 2023

The Long Road Home


I returned to my home... my old stomping grounds today – Marinette WI and Menominee MI – where I had my first newspaper job out of college. Over the years, I've been back several times. But the last time I was there it was last fall for the unexpected death and funeral of my friend and former co-worker Cindy. 

Today I was there to take senior photos of her granddaughter Madison – daughter of Sara, who I've known since she was 7.


A bittersweet day in that respect. But so good to see these amazing young women again! Cindy would be so proud.

We went up to Henes Park in Menominee and then along historic 1st Street where I have a ton of memories since our newspaper office was there (and where I got hit by a car).


Also, over the years, I considered this MY lighthouse! So it was cool to be on the Menominee Pier again. Lighthouse hair, don't care!

Also got to see my and Cindy's friend and former co-worker Sally and one of her grandchildren. My heart is full! We are all still grieving but finding joy in family – and friendship – moments.


Naturally I waited until my 2 1/2 hour drive home to feel the storm of emotions – as I headed into the first of two storms on the way back to Rapids. I think this post today from my friend Gene says it best...


As tears stream down my face as I type this, I realize yes, I am so lucky. Not only for Cindy's friendship, but the next generation and generation after that of friendship, family, and love!

Treasure your friends, folks!! 

No comments: