Sunday, July 2, 2023

USSO :: Day 7 and Final


When I walked into the U.S. Senior Open grounds this morning, I pondered whether the current leader Berhnard Langer (the 2010 winner) would win SentryWorld. Or would it be one of our favorite Wisconsin boys. 

Spoiler alert: I was right.

I initially wasn't going to be volunteering today, but I love this green shirt so much, I wanted to wear it one more time! Actually, they didn't need help for my media/marketing job today so I was able answer the call for much-needed volunteers today.

So I started on hole 9 per usual. Then they needed help on hole 2 with the large crowd following our two Wisconsin golfers in the last two groups. After that, I went back to 9 and then they needed an extra "quiet please" person on hole 17. I agreed before I realized my 3 hour shift was turning into nearly double.

Of course, as a marshal, the TV coverage showed only my lovely backside – thankfully blurry.


By coincidence, when eventual winner Bernhard Langer was putting on hole 2.


And driving on hole 17.

Quite a long, hot day. But pretty cool seeing quite a few people I know. I even ran into my college friend's dad, hubby, and son. That was cool!


And I got a few of the leaders in action en route between volunteer holes...


Wisconsin's Jerry Kelly on the par 3 hole 3.


Leader Bernhard Langer on hole 3.


After telling Bernie good luck on 17, he looks at his book as if to say, "Anything for you, anonymous volunteer!"


And I did get him carrying the trophy through the media area later. Just didn't have time for many autographs.



On the plus side, I got a pic of Strick giving an autograph to my friend's son.

I got home and watched the final round to see how everything went. Yeah for Flower Hole coverage – where my cousins volunteered...


Pretty fun to see. And pretty amazing to be a part of!

I'm pretty exhausted and sun-drenched right now and looking forward to cooling off and sleeping in. Hope I didn't bore you for the past week, but this was a pretty big deal! 

Please continue to enjoy your holiday weekend! 

No comments: