Saturday, April 12, 2008

April showers bring...


How would you like to wake up to this scene the morning you have to sit at a garage sale all day? What a rude awakening! Carter's baby sitter always has her sale the second weekend in April (unless it's Easter) and she has never had to shovel a path to the garage -- until this year.

Thankfully we could close one door of the garage and take turns standing by the opening so I wasn't always in the wind. And the snow was only intermittent today -- the bulk of it sneaked in softly while we were sleeping last night. I dressed in layers to prepare, but after 6 or 7 hours, does it matter?

The good news is that it didn't rain -- sideways into the garage -- like yesterday (when I was working my "real job" and couldn't man the "bagging post"). So I really can't complain. Plus, enough people decided they needed something to do today so they stopped by and shopped. That helped the t-t-time go f-f-faster! I think I'll come out OK on this both profit-wise and knowledge-wise. I learned you can never ever count on spring to arrive in time for garage sale season in Wisconsin!

I was able to come home in mid afternoon and thaw under a few blankets while watching The Masters. I was going to say nothing beats that. But something does -- we could actually be somewhere without snow, golfing ourselves instead of watching it on TV!

Late this afternoon, we had a pleasant surprise. Well Jim and I knew about it but it was a surprise for Carter. My friend Tamara was back in Wisconsin for a wedding and had said she'd swing by to see her "little boyfriend" Carter if it worked out. As it turned out, it did work out. He was totally surprised and very excited to entertain her for the next three hours -- as you can see from his genuine smile in the photo! Seriously, it was so good to see her again! We made sure we took her out to eat where she could have the Wisconsin staples: deep-fried cheese curds and fish. It doesn't get any better than that!

We tried to get her to take some of the snow with her, but we are keeping our fingers crossed that it will be gone by the time her Lincoln crosses the Indiana state line sometime in the next day or two.

It used to be April showers brought May flowers. I'm not sure what April snow showers bring, but I hope it's more special surprises like today's.

No comments: