Thursday, April 24, 2008

Bird on a Wire

I seem to have fallen into this pattern where my son shocks me with his inquisitiveness about the strangest things.

A while back, we were traveling somewhere and Carter pipes up from the back seat: "Mom, I know this is question out of the blue, but why don't birds get electrocuted when they sit on a wire?" I don't know if I even gave him a scientifically correct answer, but I think so.

Since then, he has referred to that type of questioning twice. He'll say, "This is one of those bird on a wire type questions" -- as in, "I've thought long and hard about asking Mom this but I am going to pretend I just thought of it out of the blue."

The other night, the bird on the wire question was "When can I start wearing cologne?" Last night it was "Can I get some tanning oil?" What the heck is going on at that grade school?!

I gave him a definitive "no" on the tanning oil, but I just wonder what little bird will be talking to him next!

1 comment:

Ron Hedberg said...

"Tanning oil" is strange in our language. It can mean a sun blocker or an oil that helps you tan. I'll assume the latter.

Tell Carter tanning oil is a winter thing. That is why there is the Christmas song "O tanning balm, o tanning balm". It has color even in the winter time.

Learn more about the real lyrics at http://german.about.com/library/blotannenb.htm and http://german.about.com/library/blotannenb2.htm

Uncle Ron