Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy anniversary to me...

It was one year ago today I decided to embark on this unknown adventure called "blogging." What a trip it's been!

My initial reasons were related to my desire to get back into writing when I could... or when I had something I wanted or needed to say. Little did I know it would become a natural part of my daily routine -- to the point that I missed two days of blogging Friday and Saturday so I got a call from one of my sisters today to make sure I wasn't dying or on a missing person's list.

Probably not a good thing to mention you are sick and then wait 76 hours to type again. It just happened I was pretty much only home long enough to sleep until today when I had about 5 hours to get stuff together for a garage sale the babysitter's having. When I got Rayna's concerned message, I figured I better take a break from life's madness and write. Especially on my anniversary!

I can't believe it's been a year already. I'd have to say my initial goal of "writing more" has been met. Even though I didn't take time every day, I look back and see that, wow, I've done a lot of writing in the past year. That makes me feel good! Although it's not what I would consider creative writing, more like storytelling, I guess, but that's something I aim to work on this year.

Beyond the mere act of writing, this has progressed into quite a journey of self-discovery. And with that, of course, is the good, the bad, the ugly.

At a glance, one can see I absolutely adore my son and hubby. I love my family -- both immediate and extended. I have a sense of humor (obviously reflected in my son), thus The Light Side name. But I have a deep, serious side to me, too. I am spiritual and feel an obligation to share, inspire and advise if I think others may benefit. I guess that's the good part.

The bad part is that even though I am thrilled beyond measure that family and friends are reading this, I have lessened my efforts to reach out to them individually. "What? You didn't hear about that? Didn't you read my blog?" Relationships shouldn't be so one-sided and filled with obligations.

Now the ugly. Do you realize how many times I have vowed to get healthy, exercise more and lose weight in the past year? I don't know either. And I'm not going to count. I honestly don't have a fear of commitment or dedication. I just seem to lack that gene (Oh there I go blaming my mother for something again. That, I should probably stop.) that gives me the ability to act on it for any sustained length of time. Seriously, for every resolution, the road has been paved with good intentions. I just some times forget to put my running shoes on and hit that road. Or I don't forget per se, I just hit the snooze instead.

Thank you, dear reader, for giving me the benefit of the doubt despite my downfalls and dysfunction. I do so love sharing my quirky little Midwestern life as a working mother and wife. And do you know what? I'm just getting started! Please join me as we continue the journey, won't you?

4 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Robyn,
Happy Anniversary & Thank you for leading me on a path of creativity - writing my own blog! Yes, it's an awesome experience and frightening sometimes. Vulnerability can keep us honest, if we let it. Keep up the great writing! Rayna

Ron Hedberg said...

Happy anniversary! Keep up the great writing and sharing.

I'm glad you are feeling better too.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Bynski-
You have done an awesome job. Take credit where credit is due. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Not that I don't need to work on that myself. I look forward to the coming year(s) of your blog. No matter if a person doesn't always comment, there is a lot that I get out of what you have to say. Thanks for the continued inspiration. Love, Your twin

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. Your writing is creative, not everyone can tell a story like you can. Of course it helps when you have wonderful subject matter ( Carter and Jim and you!)!! I enjoy hearing about your lives and watching Carter grow up so fast thru your eyes. Congrats on your "blog" - and please keep on writin'! Thank you - Romey