Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Serenity 101

I felt like a professional student today. I learned a lesson or two on patience. Failed miserably at tolerance and control. But picked up a few pointers on humility. Yup. It was one of those days!

I've had a few stress factors develop at work lately. Unfortunately, a few came to a head today and my mind and spirit were not prepared. I think I've mentioned before that I often say the Serenity Prayer to myself at work as a reminder I can't change people. Only how I react to them.

Today I revised the prayer to add accepting the things -- people and situations -- I cannot control. I cannot control everything just because I am a manager. Honestly, I can't change or control anything -- because I am human. I may temporarily think I'm the one in charge, but we all know better.

I told someone recently that I am more likely to get from Point A to Point B safely -- and with my sanity intact -- if I let God do the driving. I know this to be true. However, sometimes knowing something and actually living it are two different things, aren't they?

So today I confess that I am human. Therefore I am imperfect. Therefore I get angry, upset and hurt when I lose control of a situation I never really had control of to begin with. I get disappointed with my reaction to others. And I learn that sometimes the best way of dealing with it is a new version of the Serenity Prayer, a cleansing cry at my desk and an Italian ice cream run with friends.

2 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Ouch! Days like today hurt don't they? You're right, we're human. Thank goodness there are people who love us no matter how bad we screw up, huh? Love ya sis!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Robyn I know how you feel. I thot my job was fine as far as being in control of the situation. April 1st two of my election officials quit, they were not happy with me and the way I reacted to their complaints (and the working environment which I have worked so hard to improve). I bawled and vowed to quit, but so far I can't let my town down b/4 November election. My five other workers are fine with me and the situation, so I guess we will see what happens. I know I should apologize to those two, but I'm not sincere about it yet - and feel I deserve one from them. i din't think i would have to deal with this kind of stuff in this low-paying job!! So we have to vent and go on - good luck to you - maybe I need to try that prayer - Love u, Romey