Monday, April 14, 2008

Tee Time... or Tee Vee Time...

Long ago, say 10 years ago, back before I picked up my first golf club, I wondered how in the world a person could sit and watch hours of golf on television. I mean, compared to the fast action of football or basketball, what's the attraction?

I wonder no more.

I have to make a confession here. I spent hours of a sunny day yesterday inside watching the final round of The Masters. Yes, the time was interspersed with a few household tasks and keeping an eye on Carter and his visiting friend. But for the most part, hubby was camped on the couch and I was parked in a chair for the afternoon. I gave myself permission to be officially lazy for the day -- and surprisingly I don't regret it.

Carter had asked who we were cheering for or who we wanted to win. Sure, we have a few favorites. But with golf, we just love to see everyone do well. We like it when they sink a long putt, chip in for an eagle or master a tricky shot out of the rough. You watch and say "I could never do that" in the same breath you are thinking "I want to be able to do that" and "When will the snow be gone so I can try?!"

It was neat to see Trevor Immelman hold on to win it. Here we have this young man who vowed when he was Carter's age that some day he'd be the best golfer in the world. How cool is that? If you are a true fan of the game, yes, you get a lump in your throat when the winner's wife, child and proud parents hug him after his victory -- and when he dons the green jacket.

Yep, it's a golf thing. And while I enjoyed watching the action this weekend, I hope next weekend it is nice enough I can at least christen my new clubs on a driving range!

No comments: