Thursday, April 10, 2008

Giving back

If you are in a place right now where you aren't happy with your life... Your children are pushing your limits of sanity... You have discontentment at the workplace... Or something is frustrating you on the home front. Then you should have watched American Idol Gives Back last night. We have no idea how good we've got it. Really.

Now I'm not a big reality TV fan and have only seen American Idol probably 3 or 4 times in all the years it's been on. But I've been hearing some buzz about this Idol Gives Back program and I wanted to be sure I caught part of it last night.

The program, which turned out to be 2 1/2 hours long, is actually a major fund-raiser for multiple charities who help children in many ways -- from providing AIDS medication in Africa to books in Appalachia to educational efforts in Katrina-ravaged New Orleans. Interspersed among top-notched musical performances were video segments of some of those stars visiting these poverty-stricken areas.

I have to admit I had three major cries in the first hour of the program. How can you watch that and not cry? As I sat there watching, I said to myself, "Are you really going to just sit there and cry about it and not give?'" Indeed. How could I watch, be both entertained and moved, and not give?

I logged on to the Web site, made my donation and then had Carter watch for awhile, too. "I want you to see how blessed we are," I said. "You are actually lucky you get to go to school, let alone play soccer and baseball and buy books when you want them. If you are in pain or sick, we can get you to a doctor. You have your own bed and your own room. And you have both parents!" I don't know if he feels lucky with that last one some days, but overall, he got the message.

I think lots of people did. Producers are hoping to exceed last year's $76 million raised. At one point in the evening, they'd already reached the $22 million mark and it's still early. If you want to give or simply learn more about these children's charities in Africa and the United States, click here. Then thank God for your many blessings today.

No comments: