Thursday, April 17, 2008

Back in the swing of things

Dear Santa: Thanks for the new golf clubs! Love them!

Since we finally had a spring-like day yesterday -- with temps in the 60s -- I suggested on the way home that we go to the driving range. Jim and Carter were totally on board with that! So I grabbed my new clubs and off we went.

The first thing I noticed is that my clubs are super light compared to the old ones and they are shorter (since they are women's clubs) so I am not standing so far away from the ball. That should be a help.

The second thing I noticed is after hitting a few balls off the deck (that's golf lingo for not using a tee), I grabbed for a towel to wipe off the club and realized there was no towel there. Do you realize I've had these clubs nearly 4 months but never took the time to transfer my "stuff" from my old golf bag to my new one? Where are my priorities?

The third thing hubby and I both noticed is that we were hitting the snot out of the ball. Must be something magical about the first swings ... or maybe we are just more patient or concentrated more. Either way, we hope it carries through to the real game! Carter had his ups and downs but was connecting on occasion. I let Jim handle him. After getting whacked in the head last year, I wasn't going near our Lefty.

We spent some time on the putting green, too. There was another couple practicing at the same time. I didn't realize the man was a lefty also until he came over and said, "Would your boy like a new putter?" I was like, "Are you serious?" He said, "Well, I have new putter and if I get rid of the old one, it will make up my mind which one I should use." How generous!

So now Carter has a new "real person sized" putter. We're thinking we might have to get him some new (or nice used) clubs this year anyway. I think we'd feel better about giving him that for his upcoming birthday than an iPod or Nintendo DS or whatever electronic gadget he's wanting.

I might even give him my old bag. Now I have to clean it out in case it's nice enough to tee off this weekend. Finally got my priorities straight... now I just need to do the same with my drive!

No comments: