Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Old Man Winter: 1, Mother Nature: 0

I saw a news clip on the Weather Channel this weekend showing kids out in Washington State playing soccer in the snow. I thought, those poor kids. After last night's winter storm in Wisconsin, I may be saying the same about my own.

There seems to be this fight going on between Old Man Winter and Mother Nature. She likes warmth and sunshine like me -- and he is just not letting go. We woke up this morning to a couple inches of slushy wet snow on the ground and on the trees (the weight of it bending our poor little birch trees out in the front yard). According to the weather man (who I have no fondness for these days), this is just the beginning. Cooler than normal temps will continue all the way through the weekend and we will have more chances of snow in coming days. Just in time for spring sports!

Last night, Carter had baseball tryouts (thankfully indoors) and he'll have soccer practice tonight and Friday night (I am hoping indoors). On Saturday morning, he'll have his first soccer game (unfortunately, these ARE outside). Granted, it has traditionally been cold the first few games of the season, but I don't recall snow on the ground EVER. Good thing the kids can stay warm by running around. It's just us adults on the sidelines who will be clutching our coffees and whining.

There is a chance I won't make the game. I am committed to working at my baby sitter's garage sale for the day. I hope she has heat in her garage! She's not liking the weather men these days either. Hopefully people will disregard the weather and go garage sale-ing anyway. This just might be the year those out-of-style sweaters actually sell!

See, I knew if I thought about this (read: whined about it) long enough, I'd find something good about it. I'll have to dig up some small winter coats while I'm at it... maybe have a hot chocolate stand...

2 comments:

Ron Hedberg said...

We might be sending 6+ inches of snow over your way this weekend.

Spring is coming....eventually.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, it's suppossed to be 102 here today. I'd comment more but it would interfere with my pool time

Paul