Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April Fools

Mother Nature sure played a cruel April Fool's joke on us with an overnight snow storm. Even though we just got a dusting in our area, I made it work to my advantage.

By the time I got my sniffling, sneezing, stuffy head self out of bed this morning, Carter was already on the couch eating a bowl of cereal. "Why did you get up so early?" I asked. "Didn't you know we had a snow storm last night? There's no school today!"

"Oh man!" he responds with a groan. "I could kill someone." Which I'm sure meant he'd rather have stayed in bed. Knowing neither one of us has much of a sense of humor in the morning, I really didn't let him sweat it out very long before I said, "April Fool's!" When we saw on the TV that there were several schools Up North that were in fact closed today, he was actually disappointed my prank wasn't for real. I was disappointed, too. I would have loved to drag my sorry butt back to bed for the day!

Don't let Carter fool you, though, I am quite sure he wanted to go to school today. Especially after last night. He got a phone call. From a girl! When he brought the phone back out to the living room, 9 minutes later (but who's counting), we asked who is was. Shayla. What did she want? "Oh she just wanted to know if it was raining here." And it took 9 minutes to answer?!

Perhaps I will not be a mother that deals well with girlfriends when he's a teenager. But in my defense, this phone call came within days of one conversation where Carter (a 4th-grader, mind you) says two people in his class are "going out." Another conversation where he asked, "Mom, when can I start wearing cologne?"

Yep. I'm the fool today. The fool who thinks my little boy is not growing up!

No comments: