Sunday, April 27, 2008

If you build it...

After yesterday's Arctic Blast, Carter and I decided to snuggle up on the couch and watch a movie last night. Since we've been in the sports mode this weekend -- between soccer and the NFL draft -- I decided to get out the "Field of Dreams" DVD Santa left in Jimmy's stocking.

If you haven't seen the movie (and you've been living under a rock), the story follows an Iowa man (played by Kevin Costner) who hears a voice telling him, "If you build it, he will come," then envisions a baseball field. Costner's character doesn't know who "he" is but still decides to act on his faith. He tears up half his corn crop to build the field. Eventually, Chicago White Sox players banned in the 1920s from baseball for throwing the World Series to win gambling bets -- more accurately, their life-like ghosts -- showed up to play. The movie is about faith, mending relationships and, of course, the love of baseball.

I wasn't sure Carter would grasp the "8 men out" story line, but he really, really enjoyed the movie. And he really, really wants to know where those players go when they go back into the cornfield. "What's out there?!"

The movie got me thinking about acting on faith. I sometimes wonder if I shut up long enough to even hear the voice. And when I do, is it really the voice or am I feeding it its lines? Pretending its Thy will when it's mostly my will. I believe what I say and do is with the best of intentions (most of the time). I have faith I am doing the right thing and it's right for everyone. Do I believe others are doing the same or do I question them and their intentions?

A friend of mine (and former boss) reminded me often that we have to "assume the positive." Before feeling targeted or victimized by some decision at work or church or wherever, we have to assume the decision-makers are acting with good intentions for a positive result. Not always easy to do.

We had a lengthy Sunday School meeting today about how things are and aren't working with our new rotation model. As one of the leaders, I knew going into the meeting that I needed a thick skin and positive attitude. Turns out I needed a little of both. Also turns out, by assuming the positive (don't you love the phrase "constructive criticism"?) I could accept what they had to say and realize we are all after the same goal -- to build it (an inviting learning environment) so they (the children) will come. This is our field of dreams. Now we just have to fold our hands, close our mouths and listen for the voice...

No comments: