Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Breakfast, anyone?

I told Carter last night he better start thinking about what he wants to bring for a birthday treat to school Thursday. We are somewhat limited since we leave town in the morning before anyone is at the school. So I'm not going to send a cake with him on the bus. And certainly not a container of cupcakes to get dropped or smooshed or eaten. So I was leaning towards something I could buy. Maybe something from my friend Little Debbie. That didn't happen.

Carter recalled some pretzel-almond bark thing his babysitter made at Christmas time. Something different from our "pretzel doughnuts." These were called "Bacon & Eggs" instead. I kind of remembered what they looked like but told Carter the challenge would be finding Almond Bark at this time of year. It's just one of those things that they have a stockpile of during the holidays, but that's usually it.

So being clever about still getting out of making something, I said, "If they don't have all the ingredients (yes, all 3 of them) for Bacon & Eggs, what is your second choice? Or do you just want me to find something?" He said I could pick.

How evil am I that I was hoping for an easy out? Well, as luck would have it -- as Carter's luck would have it -- Wal-Mart (who has everything, darn it) had Almond Bark, the thin pretzel sticks and M&M's.

We decided to make it tonight since I don't know what time we'll get home from an out-of-town funeral tomorrow evening. So we jumped into it after baseball practice. It was actually a quick-and-easy project. And tasty. We had to eat the ones where the yoke was off-centered because I am a perfectionist and will only serve the best Bacon & Eggs to those 4th-graders!

So if you are in the neighborhood on May 1st, stop on by Grant Elementary to say hello to the birthday boy. I think "breakfast" will be served around 10!

No comments: