Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Non-scents

They say every generation grows up faster than the one before. Which is also why parents "don't know anything" at a younger and younger age!

Carter called my mom to have her help with his "Big Words" homework this week. This is where the students see how many words they can make out of a bigger word -- in this case, earthworms. Since Grandma helped one other time and enjoyed it so much, he thought he better let her in on the fun one more time before the school year ends.

As usual, when I got on the phone, Mom is chuckling about something Carter said to her and commenting how "mature" he sounds. I was telling this to Carter later when I was tucking him in and, in his mind, a conversation about maturity was a perfect segue into his request to start wearing cologne.

I was not prepared. I said something like: "You can't even spell cologne! Why would you need to wear cologne? To impress some girl?"

Then I heard the answer that shot arrows into my heart. "Well Mom, I have a whole secret world you know nothing about!"

Oh boy. So I said, "So this is about a girl! Who is it? Tori? Kayla? Bridgette?" I just kept naming names and when he said, "You'll never guess," then I knew I was right. He wants to impress a girl.

So I suggested he take a shower every night if he was concerned about smelling good. He didn't miss a beat and replied: "But Mom, that will wear off when I toss and turn all night wondering when I can wear cologne!"

Thank you, Mr. I Have An Answer For Everything. I mentioned it to Jim and he said Carter shouldn't even think about wearing cologne until he has his driver's license. That sounded good to me. When I told our little fourth-grader that, he said, "Mom! Why did you tell Dad?! I was asking you?"

Nine-year-olds may be smart but they don't know everything. Mom is not the one to go to when you want to bring another female into your life. Someday he'll learn, but hopefully not too soon!

By the way, since Jim is out of town a few days, Carter asked to sleep with me last night. Falling on the heels of the "I'm growing up" cologne discussion, I said yes, of course. This morning when I woke him up, he said he slept really good, then asked: "Can we do things the old-fashioned way and have you carry me out to breakfast?" Old-fashioned? As if his toddlerhood was so long ago! I declined the request, citing my bad back, but I did smile to myself, thinking maybe he doesn't want to grow up so fast after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You tell Carter... Oh! I guess you can't tell him because then he'd know you write about your main Man, Carter... However, tell Carter that Tamara and all his auntie's are going to be extremely jealous of any girl friend he has! That girl friend will have to deal with more than just his mommy if he gets hurt! Give him a big hug. Oldest Auntie RD