Thursday, April 3, 2008

Observations from the sick ward

I discovered over the past several days that I am a wimp when it comes to being sick. Either that or I have reached that age where my body is falling apart at whim (which is entirely a possibility).

I have been fighting what could be a nasty head cold or spring allergies. Since I know my hubby has had the cold, along with several people at work, I would lean toward that. However, spring allergies can disguise themselves as something along those lines, too. Either way, it hasn't been fun but I can tell you a few things I've observed this week...

Vegging:
Did you know it doesn't take that long to turn into a couch potato? I really haven't felt like doing anything (even blogging) when I've gotten home from a day of work and nose blowing, so I have actually watched an entire baseball game and two episodes of American Idol. Did you know they have some pretty good singers on there? And what is up with Paula Abdul? You know, I actually saw her in concert 15 years ago. She wasn't loopy then -- just enthused about her Vibeology.

On drugs:
I think I have had enough of Ny-Quil. It's tough to get up in the morning! And, despite the fact that daytime cold medicines (which taste absolutely horrible, by the way) say they are non-drowsy, they still make me feel out of it (more than usual, that is). Sort of like I'm walking around with my head floating above me like a balloon on a long string...

For better or for worse:
Poor hubby is in his second week of coughing. We told Carter we were having contests on the way home to see if Daddy coughs more times than Mommy blows her nose. We've had some close competitions this week (because you know with us, everything is a competition) and I won't say who's been more miserable but we are on our second box of tissues in the car. Speaking of tissues, you know what's not sexy? Crawling into bed and seeing your spouse, sound asleep, with Kleenex shoved up her nose to stop the faucet. He must really love me!

Customer service: A lot be can said for finding good customer service these days. I had to go to the doctor this morning (my OB-GYN guy -- nothing to do with this cold). As I lay back on the crinkly paper "sheet," I glanced up and was greeted by what can only be described as vintage hotties. Taped to the ceiling tiles were black-and-white publicity shots of Robert Redford, Robert DeNiro, Richard Gere and Marlon Brando. What? We're done already? (Dr. K rocks!)

I think I feel better already!

No comments: