Friday, March 13, 2009

Dial 1 for Guest Services

We got to turn our home into a bed and breakfast last night -- if you count bunk beds and Cocoa Pebbles.

My brother Ron and teenage nephew David stopped over on their way from Minnesota to Milwaukee, where David has a scholarship interview at Milwaukee School of Engineering. Since the interview isn't until Saturday, they'll get to make their way down there today and do touristy things in the big city.

It was nice to see them. They arrived right after we got home from work so we went out for supper and had our big boys meet us. When we got home, Carter did his homework in record time so he could play some video games with his cousin (I gave him a Lenten reprieve since it's not every day we have long-distance family over. Plus, I'm pretty sure mothers have that power.)

Thankfully we have two sets of bunk beds that have fold-out futon double mattresses on the bottom -- since these guys are not vertically challenged like the rest of my family. Carter got to sleep on the top bunk in his room and Ron slept on the bottom since the teenager did not want to be in the same room as an alarm. Go figure.

This morning, both Ron and Carter were up and at 'em before the alarm and before we even left the house. I, on the other hand, was up way past my "old lady" bedtime last night and would kill for a nap about now.

I probably shouldn't say "kill" on Friday the 13th, should I? That's OK. I'm not the superstitious type. I know David will do well in his scholarship interview this weekend because it doesn't take luck. He's a smart, witty kid with a heart of gold. Who wouldn't want him on their team?!

I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case... Maybe knock on wood while I'm at it...

No comments: