Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In Like a Lion...

The funny thing about the month of March is that it doesn't really matter if it comes in or goes out like a lamb or a lion, because it undoubtedly changes a lot in between.

From a weather perspective, I'd have to say it came in like a lion. We definitely had below-zero temps at the appropriately named Lions Camp this weekend (where I snapped this photo of a carving on the fireplace mantel). I know in the Northeast they are dealing with a major Nor'easter Lion that prevented our company execs in New York from flying to Wisconsin this week.

I think the only people enjoying a "lamb" in March are my parents, who unfortunately, are packing up their bags as we speak to leave their winter retreat at my sister's in Texas (where they had record highs in recent days). Figures they're experiencing major warmth the one spring we decide not to vacate there!

March also means the start of high school basketball playoffs. Wisconsin Rapids Assumption, hubby's alma mater, is ranked No. 1 for both boys and girls. He and Carter watched the girls win their first round last weekend while I was at camp. Last night we watched the boys soundly defeat their opponent 75-31. I actually found myself clapping when the other team scored because I felt so bad for them! Lincoln High School (where Casey goes) also scored twice as many points as their opponent last night so we have two Rapids boys teams moving on. Should be some excitement in the area over that.

I'm just excited because the temperatures are turning around, too! We could hit 40 tomorrow. What difference does it make? A lot. When it's 40 we can take a few layers off. We don't have to be concerned about ice on our commute. We can't exactly lay in the sun but can certainly get outside for a walk (if you don't mind puddles).

I will actually not get out much tomorrow. I will be spending about 8 hours in a bus going to the Twin Cities and back with a busload of old people -- people over 40, probably over 60, too. My friend and I were on a waiting list (I can't make this up) to go see the musical comedy Church Basement Ladies with her parents. Her mom and dad have tickets but the buses (departing from Wausau) filled up right away. We put our names on the list, figuring that people would cancel in twos -- you know, if Elsie got sick, Elmer wouldn't go. That's what happened. We found out yesterday afternoon that a twosome canceled so Becky and I are in. Just have to get up at 4:30 a.m. tomorrow to catch the bus. I imagine we won't be the only ones sleeping on the ride! Should be a fun way to play hooky!

You just never know what comes your way in March...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So did you like the show?