Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Olds-Mobile

Ever notice jokes are a lot funnier when you aren't the butt of them? Just a quick anecdote about something that happened over my lunch hour...

Today was a Zumba day, which means I had what I call my "salsa aerobics" class at noon. I love this class! It gives me a chance to get my groove on and burn calories for an hour twice a week.

So far, there are no men in this class and the ages of women range from somewhere in the late 20s to the late 50s. Today one of the women was celebrating her 46th birthday so I was feeling like the young 'un in the class. But that didn't last long...

For the first time, we had two high-school girls join us because they didn't want to watch a movie in gym class. They were standing pretty close to me -- and I mean close, like I was concerned about taking them out on a wicked turn. They weren't keeping up very well but, granted, they were new to this. They left about 25 minutes into it because gym class was over.

Half an hour later, when the rest of us were done, I was commenting to one of my friends in the locker room that young people don't know "aerobic etiquette" (I just made that term up). I said, "Those girls were standing so close to me, I thought I was going to bang into them. They should have started another row."

Then another friend I work with (who was in the weight room while we were Zumba-ing) said, "Oh, those girls were in your class? They came in here and said, 'I don't know how those old ladies do it'!"

Old ladies?!?! Are you kidding me? I'm an "old lady" now? (Geez, I should fit right in on the Senior Bus tomorrow!)

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. This old bag o' bones could still out-Zumba them any day!

No comments: