Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday School

For a day of "rest," I sure spent a busy day. And learned a few things along the way in Sunday "school."

I learned that a handwritten card or note to say "hi" or "thanks" is always appreciated.

I learned that I'll always run into someone I know at Wal-Mart so it's good to put on makeup and fix my hair before leaving the house.

I learned that when I say "WE should paint Carter's room," it really means "Daddy should do it." (And he did a great job!)

I learned that even Puffs with Lotion feel rough after using 89 tissues in a 12-hour period.

I learned that if you give a 10-year-old some sidewalk chalk and shoo him outside, he can "create" his own basketball court -- including a 3-point line and one further out just labeled "Wow" (or MOM if you look at it right).

I learned that it sucks to get old and have health problems.

I learned that it's really easy, though, to pray for those who do.

I learned that Tiger Woods will always be entertaining to watch.

I learned that I will never golf even a fraction as good!

I learned that getting ready for a garage sale reminds you of how much "crap" you have -- and possibly worthless crap at that.

I learned that some of the things we moved into our new house 8 years ago are still in the same place ... and inside their "moving" box.

I learned that a mother still loves you even if you call 4 days late for her birthday.

I learned that even if you are too full from supper, there's always room for dessert!

I learned that ironing isn't such a terrible chore, but I wouldn't want to have to do it every day.

I learned that it's not as fun to watch college hoops when none of your Final Four will make the Final Four.

I learned that dropping hints about a Mint Oreo Blizzard doesn't mean you get one.

I learned that getting two dozen roses is a helluva lot better than mint anything.

I learned that when my soul mate and I started our journey 12 years ago on this weekend, there's no way we would have envisioned the blessings we have today.

(Or the boxes of "crap.")

1 comment:

ARahn...as opposed to A-Rod said...

Wow, it certainly seems you did learn an awful lot in Sunday "school." Very cool.

Your writing style always impresses me, and makes me really appreciate the gift we have as writers. Twelve years with Mr. Austin? That is awesome, and it made me stop and realize that we've been friends for 9, this month in fact. One of the best things to come of my time with Gannett.