Friday, March 27, 2009

TGIF (Thank God It's Fixed)

I've been having a major technical challenge in my new work project. In simple terms, when I had to save things I had altered in the computer, it would take a minute each time.

So I had two computers set up at my desk so that while one was saving, I'd be working on the other one and saving, then going back to the first one. The problem was that I still had about half a minute of waiting time before the first one was done saving. I told my boss a third (or even fourth) computer would help since we are on a tight deadline and I have massive amounts of "things" to alter and save for this project.

It just about took an audience with the Pope (and a few technical people armed with stopwatches) Thursday, but it somehow magically got fixed overnight and I had a much quicker program at my fingertips today. I was so relieved! I have been losing sleep about how this could all get done on time at such a slow pace. So I was ready to do my happy dance -- and dance like nobody's watchin' (and pray no one was!).

Earlier in the week, I brought a work laptop home but the wireless connection didn't work worth squat and neither did my cable connection. The laptop didn't like that. So I brought it back into work, knowing I needed two or more computers anyway so I wasn't going to be working from home (darn). Now that I only need one computer, though, I figured I would try the laptop again and save myself from driving to Iola in the morning.

Went to the library right before it closed tonight. They have wireless there but it didn't work so I obviously am missing a component for my laptop. They do allow patrons to check out a cord and plug it in for Internet in their "coffeehouse" area, so I am going to give that a try when they open in the morning. I didn't have time to test it since the library was closing but I did ask the staffer if it was OK if I was a squatter for the day (stealing their free Internet and electricity). I promised her I'd pay my "rent" by patronizing the coffeehouse so I think we're in business.

The other part of the process is that once the Internet part works, I still have to connect through another program to log on to our servers at work. If that doesn't work, I'm off to Iola for the day.

Of course, that means hubby may be stuck painting Carter's room by himself, but I don't think the room is ready. Sure it has new windows but the wall is still filled with posters of everything from cool cars and SpongeBob to Minnesota Vikings and Pink Floyd. Maybe we could just skip the painting a buy a few more posters!

Either way, it looks like we'll all be capitalizing on Sunday as the traditional day of rest. (And you know me. That's not how it works!)

No comments: