Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Clearer Picture

While March went out like a soggy lamb or lion (it was hard to tell the difference), Carter and I spent the day at the library.

I was working on my laptop and he was enlightening me with interesting facts from his Book of Lists. He also played his Nintendo DS a bit, listened to some tunes on his CD player and surfed the Internet. All in all, I had to give him credit for not whining. So yes, he did deserve a Oreo Mint Blizzard (me, too!).

I found it interesting that both Saturday and today, I saw somewhat the same crowd hanging out at the library. There were several older (past retirement age) men who stopped in to read various newspapers and chit-chat. No women. Not sure what that means. Either the women are still working. Or they find their news through other avenues. Or the men are escaping from the women. Who knows?

We had to cut our time at the library short because Carter had an eye exam late this afternoon. I don't know if I mentioned that he asked his teacher to move him closer to the board, so we made an appointment. Since I had glasses in kindergarten and Daddy wears them, too, we figured this day would come sooner or later.

The eye exam pretty much went as expected but I was still surprised to learn that one, his eyes had already gotten this bad before we realized it and two, that he is color blind (though I've had my suspicions about that). So yes, he's getting glasses. And yes, he still knows that purple and yellow go together far better than green and gold!

He may be getting his glasses as early as tomorrow. Carter seems OK with it. He picked out the frames and, frankly, was amazed at how clear things looked through the eye doctor's lenses. Who knows? It might help him see the baseball coming this summer so he can swing in time to hit it! May the wonders never cease.

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Maybe that's why he likes "pink" ... it may look like a different color to him. Tell him, we welcome him to the visually-impaired gang. There are certainly enough of us in our family.