Saturday, March 21, 2009

Power(ball) Walking

When my oldest sister lived in Colorado, I used to get a kick out of seeing pictures of her wearing shorts while throwing a snowball up in the mountains. Oftentimes, at ground level, it's a nice warm day, but if they traveled high enough up the mountain trail, they'd see snow.

Seems strange to think two very different weather situations could exist so close together. But then, that could describe just about any day in Wisconsin.

This morning, the first full day of spring, we awoke to a fresh blanket of snow on the ground. Thankfully, it was just a thin blanket! I knew it was supposed to get pretty nice today so in the a.m. hours I got some housework done (still can't move the furniture back by the windows yet) and made some banana bread.

At noon, we watched our Wisconsin Rapids Assumption boys basketball team on TV in their bid for a state title. They hung in there for the first three quarters, but then Benton (their opponent) took off with a lead that just got bigger and bigger. Hubby went to a funeral today for the mother of a schoolmate, but was home in time to watch his alma mater in action. It was a bummer to see them get so close and lose but they gave it a great effort!

By the end of the game, the snow was gone and it had warmed up to about 50. Since it was nice, I volunteered to go get our weekly Powerball tickets set. I walked 2 miles to the gas station and figured we'd be rich by tomorrow so next time I could pay someone to exercise for me! On my way back, I ran into my neighbor Cindy, who was out for a walk. So I walked with her on her route, too, so we could chat and catch up (we don't see neighbors much in the dark of winter). By the time I got home, I'd logged 6 miles. I love spring! (We'll see if my legs love it tomorrow!)

The rest of the day was filled with basketball. Gotta keep making streak picks -- plus keep an eye on our brackets. Carters is doing better than me so far. I wish I was kidding.

In the morning, we're heading Up North for a quick visit at my twin sister's house. We're doing a sendoff for my nephew (her son Tony), who is heading off to Iraq soon, and celebrating some March birthdays in the family. I guess I better get some things organized for that. The sun's gone down -- and so have the temps -- so I've got no excuse. Expect maybe there's a basketball game or two on TV...

No comments: